In a fiercely competitive and ever changing world, fueled by innovation and the search for the next best thing, a quality education is the key to success. The Duneland School Corporation is dedicated to quality education, and committed to developing lifelong learners who demonstrate responsibility, contribute to their community, and succeed in a changing world.
"The key to success for any school is the community. Chesterton is a wonderful place to live. It has concerned parents and hard working children. The foundation that our students are given even before they enter school goes a long way in determining the success they will experience," Chesterton High school principal, James Goetz, said. "We've got a great school system. We also have a great community. They seem to go hand in hand."
Chesterton residents have access to the public schools of the Duneland School Corporation as well as the private, Discovery Charter School, and Montessori schools that are locally situated. Not only does Chesterton provide primary education opportunities, but due to the town's accessibility to the Indiana Toll Road and I-94, Chesterton is advantageously located in close proximity to several universities, community colleges, and trade schools.
Facts to Consider
- In 2010, Chesterton High School principal, James Goetz, was named District High School Principal of the Year from the Indiana Association of School Principals District 1 (District 1 is made up of Porter, Lake, Newton and Jasper counties).
- The Chesterton High School boys' swim team has a long history of success, having won 17 conference titles (which consisted of a 15 year winning streak), 15 sectional titles, and back to back state championships in 2008 and 2009.
- As of July 2011, the Indiana Commission for Higher Education has capped the fee for dual courses at $25 per credit hour. Chesterton High School offers a wide-variety of dual credit courses ranging from trigonometry to foreign language. This new policy provides students of the Duneland School Corporation with an affordable way to get a head start on their secondary education. (The dual-credit program allows students to take college courses while in high school. Students who pass the class earn college-level credits along with credit toward their high school graduation, making it of dual benefit to them.)
- On July 12, 2011, the Chesterton Tribune reported that the Duneland School Corporation surpassed the state average on the Indiana Statewide Testing for Educational Progress-Plus (ISTEP) in math (88% compared to 79%), English / language arts (86.2% compared to 78%), science (82.2% compared to 69%), and social studies (78.9% compared to 67%).
See how Duneland Schools measure up.
- Bailey Elementary School
- Brummitt Elementary School
- Jackson Elementary School
- Liberty Elementary School
- Newton Yost Elementary School
Charter & Montessori Schools
Listed in order of proximity to Chesterton.
- Ivy Tech Community College Valparaiso (9.17 miles)
- Ivy Tech Community College Portage (9.93 miles)
- Valparaiso University (12.87 miles)
- Ivy Tech Community College Michigan City (12.97 miles)
- Purdue University North Central (13.43 miles)
- Ivy Tech Community College Gary (17.43 miles)
- Indiana University Northwest (17.88 miles)
- Purdue University Calumet (22.95 miles)
- Indiana Wesleyan University (23.09 miles)
- University of Phoenix Northwest Indiana Campus (23.42 miles)
- Saint Joseph's College (55.34 miles)