Illicit Discharge Detection and Elimination (IDDE) pertains to illicit, or not lawful, connections to storm sewers, and the illegal discharge and/or dumping of pollutants into storm sewers.
The Chesterton Storm Water Quality Program takes IDDE very seriously because these practices can lead to reductions in the quality of water in our local waterways. Storm sewers do not flow to a treatment plant like the sanitary sewers. Storm water runoff does not get treated prior to release into our waterways.
Any improper physical connection to the storm sewer system. Examples include:
a floor drain or household greywater drain (i.e. laundry or sink drain) that is connected to storm drain
a septic tank discharge pipe that is connected to a storm drain or drains directly to a waterway
an improper connection between a storm sewer and sanitary sewer.
Any direct or indirect non-storm water discharge to the Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) including ditches, culverts, and storm sewers.
Pollutants are defined in Town Code (Chapter 24, Section 24-1) as anything that causes or contributes to pollution or thermal pollution, including, but not limited to:
- Animal wastes
- Dissolved and particulate metals
- Hazardous substances and wastes
- Heat, paints, varnishes, and solvents
- Non-hazardous liquid and solid wastes and yard wastes
- Noxious or offensive matter of any kind
- Oil and other automotive fluids
- Pesticides, herbicides, and fertilizers
- Refuse, rubbish, garbage, litter, or other discarded or abandoned objects, and accumulations, so that same may cause or Contribute to pollution
- Sewage, fecal coliform, and pathogens
- Wastes and residues that result from constructing a building or structure
Any person may notify the Town, at 219-926-2610 or through the Report a Concern portal, of any potential illicit discharge or perceived contamination within the Town’s jurisdiction. The Town will respond to the inquiry and if an illicit discharge is found will work with the responsible parties to remediate the contamination. Fines will be given to violators in accordance with Town Code 24-32 thru 24-38. All illicit discharges shall be mitigated.
For more information regarding IDDE please refer to Chapter 24 of Town Code (PDF) or contact the MS4 Operator at 219-926-2610.