The Fritz C. Dietrich Environmental Control Facility, Chesterton’s wastewater treatment facility, services the Town of Chesterton, Town of Porter and the Indian Boundary Conservancy District.
The facility can treat at a rate of 4.6 million gallons per day (MGD) diurnal flow and at a rate of 10 MGD during wet weather events.
The facility consists of a headworks facility with:
- 1 ultra violet disinfection chamber
- 2 primary anaerobic digesters to treat the primary and waste activated sludge
- 2 re-aeration units
- 3 final clarifiers
- 3 pumps
- 6 fine bubble aeration tanks
- 6 primary clarifiers
The digested sludge is transferred to a secondary digester for further treatment. The final process in this system is dewatering the sludge for land application at a local farm.
The Collection System includes 35 lift stations and more than 68 miles of sanitary sewers with pipe sizes ranging from 4 inches to 48 inches.
- Expansion Dates – 1987, 2001, 2015
- Maximum Storm Flow Treatment – 10.0 MGD
- NPDES Number – IN0022578
- Original Plant Construction – 1963
- Plant Capacity – 4.6 MGD
- Plant Type – Advanced Activated Sludge Plant